Table of ContentsHow to resolve a crack in a fiberglass tub 1. Clean and dry about the crack2. Sand also the location about the crack3. Prepare and apply the adhesive4. Fill the crack through fiberglass filler5. Sand also the location approximately the crack again6. Coat the crack via epoxy7. Add fiberglass clothing 8. Apply more epoxy mixture9. Apply a sealer or finishing coatFiberglass tub repair kit1. Surchallenge repair kit2. Internal repair kitWhat reasons a fiberglass tub to crack? 1. Normal aging 2. Inadequate support3. Use of harsh cleaners4. Dropping and also hitting it via hefty objectsWill Flex Seal fix a cracked bathtub? How to proccasion cracks in fiberglass tub
You are watching: How to fix hairline crack in fiberglass tub
Hairline, spider and anxiety cracks construct on fiberglass tubs because of constant usage, insufficient support, use of harsh cleaners, dropping the tub and also hitting it via hefty objects. If not solved on time, these tiny cracks develop right into larger cracks which lead to leaks and also eventually the bathtub breaks apart. Luckily, you deserve to deal with hairline cracks on fiberglass tubs fairly easily. Clean and dry the cracked area then sand also it with fine-grit sandpaper. Apply an adhesive on the crack adhered to by a fiberglass filler. Sand also the area aget then use an epoxy mixture followed by a piece of fiberglass apparel. Apply more epoxy mixture then a sealer to deal with a hairline crack in a fiberglass tub.
Both acrylic and fiberglass bath tubs are based on fiberglass and also hence the procedure for resolving cracks on each is nearly the very same. You deserve to thus usage the procedures listed below to fix acrylic or fiberglass tubs or also shower pans made of fiberglass.
How to settle a crack in a fiberglass tubTo fix a crack in the bathtub, you need a household cleaner, fine-grit sandpaper or emery towel, scissors, a cleaning sponge or rag, a dry lint-totally free piece of towel, a small paint brush, and fiberglass tub crack repair kit. Make sure tright here is enough ventilation and also you have rubber gloves on for this procedure.Repair a crack in a fiberglass tub is as follows:
1. Clean and also dry roughly the crackUse your family members cleaner to clean the location roughly the crack. Rerelocate any dirt, mold or other debris in and about the crack as much as feasible. Use a sponge to scrub the location then rinse it with clean water. After that, dry it up via a lint-cost-free rag or item of fabric.
2. Sand also the area around the crackUse the sandpaper or emery fabric to sand the location around the crack to offer it a slightly turbulent texture. This provides it basic to add adhesives and other components of the fiberglass tub repair kit. Once you’ve sanded the location to your satisfaction, brush away the dirt either via a brush or item of garments.
3. Prepare and apply the adhesiveThe fiberglass tub repair kit will have actually an adhesive or bonding agent via preparation instructions on it. Prepare it as instructed then use it to the crack and the sanded area about it using the had brush or a paint brush of your own. Make certain the adhesive covers at least an inch amethod from the crack for the finest outcomes. Also, the adhesive have to go deep inside the crack to saturate it as much as feasible. Wait for the adhesive to dry before the next step.
4. Fill the crack with fiberglass fillerAfter the adhesive has dried up, take the fiberglass filler from the fiberglass tub repair kit then use a putty knife to use it and also fill the hairline crack on the tub via it. Rerelocate any excess filler roughly the crack. Wait for the filler to dry up.
5. Sand the area about the crack againUse the sandpaper or emery fabric to sand the area around the crack until it’s level through the neighboring area then off the dirt when done. Don’t overcarry out it as you will certainly just be undoing the fiberglass tub crack repair outcomes.
6. Coat the crack with epoxyRead the instructions on the epoxy or polyester resin included in the fiberglass repair kit to produce the forced epoxy mixture. Apply the epoxy mixture to the crack and also the bordering area utilizing a brush. The epoxy mixture should cover at leastern 2 inches away from the crack also for the best outcomes.
7. Add fiberglass clothingCut a piece of fiberglass clothes (uncovered in the fiberglass repair kit) that fits the location extended by the epoxy mixture. Placed the fabric over the crack prior to the epoxy mixture dries up. Press it firmly into the epoxy mixture then run a putty knife over it to remove any air bubbles under the fabric.
8. Apply more epoxy mixtureApply more of the epoxy mixture over and about the fiberglass apparel utilizing the paintbrush. Apply a generous but reasonable coat of the epoxy mixture in this phase.
9. Apply a sealer or finishing coatThe last procedure is to use a sealer (additionally uncovered in the fiberglass repair kit) on the cracked location. The sealer protects the layers of materials used to seal the crack from damage by water and also other substances. Once the sealer is dry, you’re complimentary to usage your bathtub as soon as aget. You deserve to add a buffing compound to reclaim the glossy complete of your fiberglass bathtub prior to making use of it aobtain. This procedure on exactly how to patch a crack in fiberglass tubs applies to all cracks in the bathtub including just how to fix cracks in the bottom of the fiberglass bathtub and how to settle a cracked tub surround.The video below offers a review of this process:
See more: What Is Inside A Ping Pong Ball, Chemistry Q&A
Shower pans made of fiberglass deserve to likewise solved with this procedure as soon as they develop cracks. If the cracks in the shower pan are too deep, learn just how to relocation the shower pan without rerelocating tiles.